Lingering in my mind some of the queries on the intolerable behavior of students toward their study and yet no intensive study done to draw proofs of their behaviors. I have been noticed over the years the dramatic and exponential increase number of students on absenteeism or non-appearance in the school but upon visitation of their individual school records shows that no conclusive and substantial evidences provided in order to derive believable conclusion.
While searching on the internet of the various reasons, different factors surfaced and these are the following:
1. Phobic Adolescence: During this stage in the growth of a teen, there is a lot of fear developed as a result of physical changes of the body for example growth of pimples, turbulent emotions e.t.c. This scares teens away from school.
2. Lack of Interest: Students could be lacking interest in the study, which could be as a result of content that is difficult for them to grasp hence pushing them away from school.
3. Teacher approach: The approach used by teachers may not be understood by the student and this could lead them to lose interest in school. Punitive attendance policy plays a big role in absenteeism too.
4. Pamperness from the family: Students who get excessive pocket money from their families are most likely to absent themselves from school since they need time to spend the money.
5. Private Couching: Flexible private couching encouraged by some parents could drive a number of students away from the conventional school timetable.
6. Diseases: Some diseases like asthma which requires attention and care as well as an environment that is warm and not dusty could make students remain home.
7. School Infrastructural Facilities: Lack of libraries, sports facilities is a hindrance to attendance of school among students.
8. Entertainment: Accessibility of entertainment facilities like cinemas could divert attention of some students from school. (Keter,2013)
Each teacher should be aware on the different factors that cause absenteeism and let me advise them to conduct comprehensive assessment of their students so that resolution will immediately follow to solve the behavioral problem directly observes from students toward school.